We are delighted to launch our inaugural poetry prize for the best single poem. The winning entries will be published in Issue Three of The Well Review.
Our judge is the poet, Ishion Hutchinson. Ishion Hutchinson was born in Port Antonio, Jamaica. He is the author of two poetry collections, Far District and House of Lords and Commons. He is the recipient of the National Book Critics Circle Award for Poetry, a Guggenheim Fellowship, the Whiting Writers Award, the PEN/Joyce Osterweil Award and the Larry Levis Prize from the Academy of American Poets, among others. He teaches in the graduate writing program at Cornell University and is a contributing editor to the literary journals The Common and Tongue: A Journal of Writing & Art.
The winning entries + three additional shortlistees will be published in The Well Review 3.
1st Prize: €1,000
2nd Prize: €500
3rd Prize: €250
The competition submission period is 26th November 2018 until 26th January 2019.
1. Judging is strictly anonymous. Please omit your name and contact details from your entry(ies)
2. Poems must not have been previously published, either online or in print.
3. You may enter as many times as you wish. The submission entry fees are as follows:
Three Poems (discounted)=€20.00
*It is the entrant's responsibility to ensure that they have paid the correct amount corresponding to the number of poems entered*
4. If you are entering more than one poem, please include your entries on a single document (pdf/doc/docx)
5. The judge's verdict is final.
6. The Well Review Poetry Prize is open to poets of any nationality writing in English.
7. There is no restriction on style, theme or length.
8. The Well Review will retain copyright for six months following first publication. After this period, the rights will revert to the author.